Old 17-01-2007, 08:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Steve Calvin Steve Calvin is offline

Default another beginner question-

betsey wrote:
simy1 wrote:
betsey wrote:
hi everyone-

i'm in southern NJ (in land, not coastal). What would be some good
veggies to direct sow???

thanks so much

betsey

in which season, for which harvest, in which soil?

oh my goodness...

planting season...spring/summer...harvest-summer/fall. soil is top
soil with a clay base...yes, i know, it needs amending!

i'm just not sure i want to get into starting indoors and then
transplanting...

betsey

I tried doing that and the cat had a field day with the
chutes. rolling eyes Good roughage for her though I
suppose. ;-)

Now I go to the local nursery and buy plants pre-started and
just plant 'em in the garden.

I have a small area. I usually plant garlic (but that's
planted in the fall), tomatoes, bell peppers, cukes, and
maybe a summer squash plant. That's about all I have room
for. The squash is done from seed.

In the past, I have done radishes, beets and broccoli.
You should be able to grow about anything in that area.

I'm in growing zone 5a/b (Poughkeepsie, New York)

As for soil prep, I just till it up well, go to the nursery
and get bags of composted cow manure and then till that in.
It has a VERY slight odor and only for a day or two when
you're close to it. My garden always does extremely well.

--
Steve