Old 17-01-2007, 11:04 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Ray B Ray B is offline

Default West Coast Cold

ALL living cells ALWAYS contain water.

Granted, it's not pure water, so the dissolved chemicals are likely to
provide some freezing-point depression, and I suppose the solute
concentration is lower in a freshly-watered plant than in one that's
parched, but is it enough to make a significant difference in freeze
tolerance?

"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..
I have been dealing (or not dealing) with the uncommon cold. As a strategy
I didn't water for many weeks, (Last time was mid October IIRC). I'm not
sure if that was the right thing to do or not, but that's what I did. The
GH is mostly unheated. I do have a heater, and it kicks on to keep the GH
at a min of 52 (or at least that's what the min/max themoneter says the min
has been the last few days.)

I didn't water becasue in the back of my mind I recalled a botany prof
talking about how in a freeze if a cell is full of water and freezes, the
ice crystals will cut the cell membrane, lysing the cell when it defrosts.
so I've been keeping the cells empty... *G*.

Sure I could turn on the heat, but the boyfriend yells too much so I'd
rather not face that argument yet again, so its adapt or die. Touch wood,
so far the catts are OK, Only a few leaves have been lost, and I'll bet
the cold dry rest will make the dendrobiums bloom great next year.

Of course I broke down and watered yesterday, and it rained last night and
this morning every puddle outside was frozen... I haven't even thought
about going into the GH....

Its odd. During the day the swamp cooler kicks on becasue its bright and
sunny, at night it freezes. Since I didn't know which way to jump I opted
for not watering.

We'll see what happens next year (No soup for you!)

As to Mitsui et al, I'll bet they have heaters. Salinas isn't the banana
belt that SB is. SBOE has both outdoor shaded areas and true GHs with
heaters so they are probably OK too.

K Barrett

"Pat Brennan" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have been watching the weather in Salinas, Ca. and it has not been
pretty. Does anyone know what Matsui uses for heat. Their website has
some nice overhead views, I do not see smokestacks. I am also
wondering if SBOE is set up for the weather they have had the past few
nights.

Crazy weather, we were in the 50's some of those nights.

Pat