Old 18-01-2007, 12:35 AM posted to rec.ponds
Galen Hekhuis Galen Hekhuis is offline

Default New to Ponds

Al Schmidt wrote:

I have just moved into a property with existing pond. Here in Fort Wayne,
IN, it has barely been winter. Lots of rain and moderate temperatures
(30-40). The pond is really filing up, toward over flowing. It is
approximately 1/2 acre in size, maybe larger now... Should there be an
over flow? I will look in spring, assuming that the water level drops.
This is a large pond, recommendations on books to learn from?

No books to recommend, and if it fills up there *will* be an overflow,
whether the water goes where you want etc. is up to you to a large extent.
I've got three natural (unlined) ponds here and they vary as to how they
get water, how exposed to evaporation, things like that. If the pond is
fed by a pretty regular source of water, an overflow can keep the water
level pretty constant. Otherwise, you may experience wide fluctuations in
the depth of your water.

--
Galen Hekhuis