Old 17-01-2007, 10:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default wildflowers

On 17/1/07 21:40, in article , "Rupert (W.Yorkshire)"
wrote:

"K" wrote in message
La Puce writes

K wrote:
Though as La Puce says, this is the wild flower 'effect' not the real
thing as most of these are not UK natives.

I'm curious, which of the flowers I have mentioned, vervain, scabious,
pimpernella, thistles, (beside marguerites) are not native to the
British Isles?

Of the 5 you mentioned in your original post, only one is unequivocally
native:

Verbena bonariensis and marguerites are not native.

"Pimpernella saxifraga" - I assume you mean Pimpinella saxifraga - is
native.

Scabiosa and thistles may or may not be native depending on species - you
didn't specify which.

You didn't mention vervain(1) in your previous post

Not everyone reading this thread is familiar with the wild flora, and
they might be a bit narked, if they want wild as in UK native, to find
that some of the plants they have planted aren't actually UK natives. If
they're just after the wild look, then, eg, V bonariensis fits the bill.

(1) Vervain is Verbena officinalis
--
Kay

I too was wondering what on the list was native. I have never seen fields of
V.bonariensis but it would be a spectacular sight :-)

Especially when grown with that other well known native, Cephalaria
gigantica. ;-)

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk