Old 17-01-2007, 11:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Keith \(Dorset\) Keith \(Dorset\) is offline

Default winter?

I reckon that 'most', not 'some' of the 'critters' in the UK are 'two
legged'! Not too many around here though thankfully. Lots of rats though.

(Is a 'critter' necessarily an ill-favoured creature / a pest? Can a dog be
deemed a 'critter' - or just if it bites someone....? I suppose rats must
be the 'mother-of-all-four-legged-critters'?) ...just thinking out loud
there...

The rats like to scudge around in the stone walls around the fields here. We
have all had to stop putting out bird food because, given half the chance,
they even climb up and hang upside-down on nut feeders!

I think the problem would be worse if the weather were to get hard...
wouldn't they come closer to the houses in search of food?

Our cooked food gets chucked into a metal dustbin and left for a year or so
to completely decompose. All the other green waste goes, you guessed it,
into the compost boxes. Whenever I see our neighbours' kitchen-waste bin put
out for collection, I nearly cry. I feel like asking them if instead - I can
tip it on my heap.

Only the thought of having to sort the green from the 'critter bait'
prevents me! ;-)

Keith

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 17/1/07 22:52, in article ,
"Alan Holmes" wrote:

"The Minister" wrote in message
ups.com...

snip

well I think global warming has a lot to answer for just look at the
insects flying around too many critters for this time of year

I don't think we have too many 'critters' in the UK.

Sure we do. And some of 'em are two legged. ;-)) But with regard to
this, though going off at a bit of a tangent, I did read in a newspaper
the
other day that while council offices are keeping quiet about it, rat
populations are growing fast because of the new regime of collecting
domestic food waste just once a fortnight. Without a prolonged cold
spell,
that problem can only get worse.
--
Sacha