Old 24-03-2003, 08:56 PM
Tom Gauldin

Default Do Woodpeckers Systematically Destroy Bradford Pears?

I thought of Bradford Pears as one of the prettiest landscape trees for
their color, density and symmetry. When blooming, they're even prettier.
Sadly, it gets too hot out her in Las Vegas for them, even when watered
well.

I never noticed any odor coming from our Bradfords. I know that one of the
real "stinkers" is the Hawthorne, which also has white blooms. I'd put the
Hawthorne up there toward the top of foul smelling plants, but only when
blooming. For anyone wishing to experience the smell of a Hawthorne, drop
by the News and Observer's downtown plant in mid Spring and smell the ones
planted out by the street.

--

Tom Gauldin, Las Vegas NV
NEW EMAIL

"Beth Peace" wrote in message
thlink.net...
Tom Gauldin wrote:
From what we saw after
the ice storm, your Bradford Pear must be one of the few surviving
ones in the Triangle. grin

Oh, believe me, there are plenty more still around all in full bloom. I
love spring!