Old 18-01-2007, 04:26 AM posted to austin.gardening
Cliff Cliff is offline

Default This great cold weather

I don't believe there is any cure for fireblight. Prune off the bad areas
and get the chain saw.

"Justin Wilson" wrote in message

"Mike Harris" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 00:48:54 +0000, Justin Wilson wrote:
Justin,

What area are you in, and what variety do you have? I love pears, but my
tree never fruited and ultimately succumbed to fireblight.

I actually live just north of SA. I believe the pear tree is a Pfanstiel
hybrid - I don't recall the exact spelling. But the trees are very strong,
healthy, and almost too much fruit. Luckily the dogs help clean up the
yard. Plus, I try to remove many of the new fruit to prevent limb
breakage.

I wonder of the Bayer systemic formula would prevent fireblight?