Old 18-01-2007, 04:48 AM posted to austin.gardening
Mike Harris Mike Harris is offline

Default This great cold weather

On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 02:27:20 +0000, Justin Wilson wrote:

"Jangchub" wrote in message Pears do usually
have good fruit production every other year. I'm not

sure why you got two crops, but when you do, I suggest you side dress
the tree, out to the drip line using compost and organic fertilzer.
Something like Sustane, or LadyBug Brand.

Thanks Jang, I will. What will that do?

Putting out a fruit crop can stress the tree. Two crops in one season,
even more so. The compost and organic fertilizer will "put back" what the
double crop "took out."

I would imagine that Jangchub specified organic as it will do its work in
a way that will likely be more readily and easily assimilated than an
inorganic fertilizer. The latter are essentially salts of nitrogen,
potassium and phosphorus which can cause temporary stress to the tree
when applied, might be formulated more for short term effectiveness than
what's best for the tree in the long term, and add no organic matter.
--
Mike Harris
Austin TX