Old 18-01-2007, 11:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham Charlie Pridham is offline

Default Fruit cages - home made or 'off the shelf'?

"Alan McKenzie" wrote in message
I've looked at those to but thought mighty expensive.
Bob do you have yours on the allotment?
I'm very tempted sigh
"+Cages/

The "business" but expensive, although one does get what one pays for in
this case. We brought a 6 metre square one from them last year and are
rather impressed with it. Wasn't even that difficult for the two of us

erect either.
We shall see how easy it is to move shortly!

--
Regards
Bob H

I found my first attempt at home made was not a success the posts kept
leaning inwards under wind pressure. mark 2 was buttressed by telegraph
poles cut in 3's and placed 2' out from the existing posts then braced
between the two with trellicing, the actual netting is quite cheap but I
found overa large area would sag and if wet drench you when inside so I made
some props from tannelised battens and placed glass jars on the tops to
prevent them wearing through the plastic netting. this arrangement is now 15
years old.
I have also seen an old tunnel frame covered in the fruit cage netting and
that would be very quick to erect (you would need an 18' or more width
tunnel to avoid sloping sides)
As to the bird problem I have undone the cover at the corners to create
flaps and any birds that get in tend to end up in the corners and can push
out.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk