Old 18-01-2007, 12:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce La Puce is offline

Default wildflowers

K wrote:
I'm curious, which of the flowers I have mentioned, vervain, scabious,
pimpernella, thistles, (beside marguerites) are not native to the
British Isles?

Of the 5 you mentioned in your original post, only one is
unequivocally native:
Verbena bonariensis and marguerites are not native.
"Pimpernella saxifraga" - I assume you mean Pimpinella saxifraga - is
native.
Scabiosa and thistles may or may not be native depending on species -
you didn't specify which.
You didn't mention vervain(1) in your previous post
Not everyone reading this thread is familiar with the wild flora, and
they might be a bit narked, if they want wild as in UK native, to find
that some of the plants they have planted aren't actually UK natives. If
they're just after the wild look, then, eg, V bonariensis fits the bill.
(1) Vervain is Verbena officinalis

Thanks Kay. Yes you're right, I've never thought of the species in the
Vervain and Pimpinella was what I meant. The 'wild look' you mention
was very much what I had in mind and I'm never that bothered about UK
native, only if there's a grant at the end for a project and I'll make
sure all is native!! However, even English Nature propose to plant
V.bonariiensis and many others non native. I suppose, like me, they
know that the wild life I get in my garden never distinguish between
vervain bonariensis or officinalis. Same with the thisles, marguerites
and scabiosas ;o)