Old 18-01-2007, 01:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default wildflowers

On 18/1/07 12:10, in article
ws.net, "Sue"
wrote:

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote
"K" wrote

snip

I too was wondering what on the list was native. I have never seen
fields of V.bonariensis but it would be a spectacular sight :-)

If I didn't weed out all the seedlings it produces in the gravely,
sandy stuff that passes itself off as soil in my front garden I *would*
have a field of it! With the recent mild winters V.b. surprised me by
turning into a bit of a nuisance there, but I still forgive it once it
flowers and attracts passing butterflies.

I love the way it seeds itself all over the place but do agree that
sometimes it needs a helping hand in attempts at self-control!

Re natives for wild areas, blue Meadow Cranesbill (Geranium pratense)
and tall, yellow Dark Mullein (Verbascum nigrum) make a colourful
addition in sunnier areas, together with Toadflax (Linaria vulgaris)
which is good for it's later flowering.

Some of my favourites and so I must admit to a bias when I say I think those
would look wonderful together. The OP could also go to the library and get
out the book on Highgrove because IIRC, it describes Miriam Rothschild's
planting of the wild flower meadow there.

In a shadier place I'd also try Helleborus foetidus as I like the
greenish flowers and distinctive foliage, and native foxgloves
practically go without saying. Snowdrops I believe are thought not to be
genuine original Brits but they do look the part and are so widely
naturalised that I've put those in for the Spring under the shade of our
birch trees.

And the real British bluebells would be a good idea, to offset the Spanish
takeover bid!

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk