View Single Post
  #1   Report Post  
Old 18-01-2007, 06:07 PM

First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jan 2007
Default hello and a few questions

hi all i`m new to the forum and pretty new to gardening i got my allotment last year it was in bad shape the grass and weed was every where and the soil was heavy clay i only planted in the green house and in grow bags and decide to get the ground right for the following year i choose to buy in some compost from a local company it was not cheap but i got 2 ton of well rotted compost so i dug over the plot and removed as much weed and grass as possible then dug in plenty of manure and covered the hole plot in 4" of compost and let the worms take over all the work thats where i`m at now waiting to plant
i have started a compost pile kitchen and garden waste but not sure what i can compost with it the allotment has piles of manure horse and cow a big pile of wood chip bedding that has been used for poultry and a pile of straw horse bedding will these be any good to compost if so together or individualy also i have been told that some plants don`t like fresh manure i dug in the manure about 6 month ago is this still fresh manure or will it have broken down by now.
many thanks for any help i`ll have loads more to ask when it comes to planting i have not got a clue