Old 18-01-2007, 06:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris Hogg Chris Hogg is offline

Default Fruit cages - home made or 'off the shelf'?

On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 18:43:56 -0000, "Keith \(Dorset\)"
wrote:

Dear all,

Please excuse me if I continue to pick your brains:

As part of the small orchard / domestic fruit growing are I am planning, I
want to erect a fruit cage for raspberries, strawberries and possibly a
Morello Cherry.

My grandfather's cage was made of metal water pipe (which rusted) and
chicken mesh.

A local estate garden open to the public near us (Trevarno) has a
selection of exotic birds, some of which they keep in large cages. The
frames of these are made of wide-bore (say 3 or 4") plastic waterpipe
as you would find in your local DIY shed. Light, easy to assemble and
glue together, complete with appropriate joints etc, and rustproof.
Individual cages were assembled as octagons when viewed from above
IIRC, as that seemed to be appropriate for the angled connectors they
used. T-pieces connected the octagon ring to the verticals, IYSWIM.
Don't know how they were fixed in the ground though, and can't
remember what netting they used.

--
Chris