Old 18-01-2007, 09:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default The tally so far....

" writes
I had an appointment at a doctors' surgery and it took me ages to get
there as I had to keep on taking detours to get there and now finally
that I am home, there are 3 trees down in the garden,I won't even
veture out there tonight as slates are flying everywhere. The
treehouse is still standing but the trampoline has gone up in the air,
came down and the legs have become undone, even though it was tied to
an apple tree.

To drive home tonight was scarey, flooded roads round the Mill and
Community cops everywhere making cars go single file to get through
fallen trees.

I wonder, will this be as bad as, was it 1976?

If you're thinking of 1987 'the hurricane' ....

We were in Sevenoaks at the time

We woke up to find a poplar lying across the road just in front of our
car, another just behind it, further poplars at about 20 ft intervals
across the road as far as we could see in each direction. There was no
electricity, no water, no phone. We couldn't see out the back - the
entire garden was filled with our fallen mature Bramley.

We heard that there were over 100 trees across the railway line between
our station and the next one 5 miles up the line.

When, a week later, we were able to drive along one of the A roads, we
found, not a tunnel under the beech trees as we were used to, but views
miles across the valley - hundreds of mature trees felled, looking from
the air like so many matchsticks.

--
Kay