Old 19-01-2007, 01:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Stan The Man Stan The Man is offline

Default Hosepipe bans come off tomorrow

In article , Antony Legat
antony@nospamthanks wrote:

Stan The Man wrote:
On January 18, most of the water companies in the south east will
announce that they are lifting their hosepipe bans. Thames Water,
Southern Water, Three Valleys and Sutton & East Surrey Water will all
lift their hosepipe restrictions in response to the above average
winter rainfall. They join Folkestone & Dover water company which
lifted its ban on October 2.

Gardeners should therefore enjoy a trouble-free watering season since
it must be considered unlikely that the water companies will do an
about-turn once the weather warms up.

Shouldn't we all be considering 'rainwater harvesting' these days?
ie. collecting water for free off a house/shed/greenhouse roof.

Do you include the water companies? You do know that they don't channel
this almost-clean water back to their reservoir? If they have been
happy for years to allow it to flow out to sea, it doesn't exactly set
a good example.

And so-called greywater recycling systems are potentially dangerous of
course. I believe they have been outlawed in Sweden.