Old 19-01-2007, 01:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle[_1_] Mike Lyle[_1_] is offline
Registered User

Default The tally so far....

Phil L wrote:
Anne Jackson wrote:
The message from "Alan Holmes" contains
these words:
"Anne Jackson" wrote:

[...]
...and in the meantime people have been killed in these
storms....just trying to keep things in perspective.

What really amuses me (for very small values of 'amuse') is the
amount of time that storms are given on the national news when they
happen in *England*, especially the *south* of England. The same
happens in Scotland,
and it barely warrants a mention on the regional news...

It is because england is MUCH more important than scotland, wherever
that is!

The English media certainly appear to think so... 8-(

Just like the Scottish media think Scotland is much more important than
England, Wales, Ireland etc...your arguments don't really stand up, bad
weather is the norm in Scotland, it's not in the South of England and when
it happens it's headline news....I'm sure if Stornoway was baking in 35C
heat tomorrow, that too would take all the headlines

I'm one of those who deplore the London-centred nature of a lot of the
news; but I really am surprised by this revelation that
_Scottish_-based media don't properly cover dramatic news from Scotland
itself. As I mentioned in the earlier message, the English and Welsh
regional media are generally focussed on regional news and issues to
the point of being positively boring: "And now, over to Blodwen
Llewelyn in Llanfihangel-ar-Arth for the latest on the egg-and-spoon
race. . ." Conversely, we used to joke that if the balloon went up, a
local paper's billboard would read "Oxford man dies in nuclear
holocaust". Is Scotland so different?

--
Mike.