Old 19-01-2007, 08:15 PM posted to rec.gardens
nonnymoose nonnymoose is offline

Default Saguaro Tap Root Damaged

In transplanting a 6 foot saguaro the tap root was knocked off. In fact,
all the roots were knocked off. We were told to allow the "stub" to air
dry for a week then plant it deep - the crown one foot below ground
level. It's been my understanding that so much damage to the tap root of
any plant that has a tap root is essentially fatal, and that burying the
crown will ensure a slow death if the root damage doesn't, but this
landscaping "expert" assures us the cactus will eventually grow new
roots. He also said it should be apparent within 6 weeks if the cactus
isn't going to survive (appearance of shriveling), while my reading
indicates a saguaro's slow death can take up to five years. Would anyone
in the group have experience with this and care to offer a comment? A
saguaro of this size is outrageously expensive and I have a feeling the
landscaper is trying to pull a fast one on us.

Karen