Old 20-01-2007, 12:40 AM posted to rec.ponds
Gill Passman Gill Passman is offline

Default The new 3.5+ acre pond is now full

Tristan wrote:
Link to photo album before pond was full. Further pics to be added
now that its full and stocked. Pavers have been put down on walk
around and lead on to the pierand gazebo has been started on the end
of pier.......currently in a temporary hold due to other necessities
that needto be taken care. The standpipe is 18" diam heavy walled PVC
with a concrete color of 6 yards of concrete poured around it to
prevent potential for seepage or leakage along the pipe. At least the
pond is now full and grass is on breast of pond so erosion is not a
concern anymore.

http://s127.photobucket.com/albums/p121/Sonoma1720/

-------

Now that looks pretty neat....can't wait to see the photos now it is
full (of water I presume) and stocked.....and if you can ever "wax
lyrical" your experiences of sitting on that pier and just watching the
fish or the sun go down..... :-)

I am curious as to how you would deal with drainage in the case of an
overflow or do you have a natural spring to use.....I'm also quite
fascinated, and this just isn't aimed at you, as to how you get the
necessary water flow and circulation to stop it becoming just a very
large stagnant pool - but also realise, that at least in the UK, we have
these natural ponds that have no in/out flow that sustain life and
indeed the "village pond" is part of rural life.....I don't have the
land to even attempt such a thing but it has a great appeal - creating
something like this....my experience, albeit 2nd hand is of a 5 acre
lake/pond fed by two 1 acre grow out ponds.....the first fed by a
natural spring, which feeds the second, which feeds the big one...and
eventually all the water goes back to the feeder spring.....amazing when
I saw it as the pond/lake was under 1 foot of ice but you could still
see the hole in the ice where the water swirled out to the spring -
totally like water going down a plug hole....and when you looked at the
outlet to the spring the water was still gushing out....Now with a feed
from a spring/stream you have the current and flow which give the
natural movement......a pond/lake on this scale obviously cannot use
conventional "back-yard" methods....so it becomes a curiosity to
me...even though all I can aspire to is a "back-yard mud puddle"......

I also totally love the concept of the mud pool that you, Jim & Phyllis,
Galen, Gary and whoever the new poster was (can't find the thread for
all the other noise)......and the one where my Dad lives.....should be
back up there in a few months time so will take some pics (wasn't
appropriate last visit)....

IIRC you have a number of "mud ponds" so it would be great to hear not
only from you but the others on the pro's and cons....having only a
small area but a heavy clay soil I did consider it when I built the
ill-fated pond around 7 years ago but wimped out for pond liner....but
talking only a few hundred gallons it probably would not have been
sustainable and would have needed multiple top ups....

Gill