Old 19-01-2007, 10:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] judith.lea99@googlemail.com is offline

Default hosepipe bans

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:

The actual production cost of water is tending towards zero. Sewage
treatment costs a bit but the largest cost is associated with the
distribution and maintenance of pipework.
There is no shortage of water in the UK as a whole and the environmental
impact of water saving schemes has never been quantified. Excessive wastage
and usage of water really does not have any significant environmental
impact.

Rupert, if you came to my village, you would see it under water! Whole
lines of trees uprooted. My heavy clay is saturated and I have 3 trees
laying on their sides with the roots in the air. We are going to try
and put them back with stakes for support.

I cannot understand all these water shortages in England where we have
far more rainfall than, say, Provence and yet they manage without
hosepipe bans.

Judith at home in England