Old 20-01-2007, 02:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Farm1 Farm1 is offline

Default Hat With Sunshield For Gardening ?

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow writes:

| Given that, I'm very surprised at your reliance on thatch. Those

of
| us who live permananently in more sunny climes have had it

drummed
| into us for decades now, never to go out without full sun cover -

and
| that includes head, arms and legs.

I had the same - it's overstated. Yes, whites have lost much of the
protection, but the darker skinned of us aren't half as sensitive to
sun as is made out. By far the worst risk is sunbathing, especially
if you get badly sunburnt - and it is unclear whether sunscreen

makes
things worse or better.

Hmmmmmmmm. I don't think I agree with you. The sun related skin
cancers I have to have removed all the time are on the backs of my
hands and my forearms. My husband's and most other men's that we know
seem to be on their faces (high cheeks, tops of ears and bridge of
nose).