Old 20-01-2007, 10:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default winter?

In article ,
"'Mike'" writes:

| | You run a pump, which pushes water up to a reservoir at the top of
| | a mountain, which then can be used to drive a turbine when needed.
| | There has been exactly such a site in Wales for decades.
| |
| | Fiendishly cunning, these Welshmen.
| |
| | So every unsightly hideous wind mill has to have a mountain alongside
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| | it does it?
^^^^^^^^^^^

| No.
|
| | Wonderful for the countryside ......... not
| |
| | :-((
| |
| | Royal Naval Electrical Branch Association
|
| Look, for someone who puts that in your signature, you are woefully
| ingorant about electricity technology. Try using the new-fangled
| Internet to search for 'UK national grid' and 'power transmission'.
|
| The question I asked was referring to 'storage'. Not transmission.

I have marked the sentence with carets where you indicated that you aren't
aware that electricity has been transmitted over long distances in the UK
for many decades.

| Put it in simple terms. I have a field of hideous windmills generating XXXX
| Watts. The grid uses XX Watts. How are the other XX Watts going to be
| 'stored' for when the adverts come on and everybody puts the kettle on and
| require XXXXXX Watts?

I answered that when you asked it the first time. See the first
paragraph of this posting.

| Understand the question? I have tried to make it simple for you :-)

I apologise for being unable to make the answer simple enough for you,
but my abilities are finite.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.