Old 20-01-2007, 07:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default And again!

On 20/1/07 16:46, in article
, "NO X-POSTERS
PERLEEZ" wrote:

Sacha wrote:

Last night was pretty windy - second or third night in a row - I'm losing
track now and now the wind is building up again, after a fairly calm day.
This seems to be the pattern over the last few days. That surely cannot be
explained by katabatic winds at this time of year, surely?!

Hmm. Katabatic winds can occur - particularly where you have sudden
cooling at the top of hills etc. following a relatively mild day. Your
proximity to the moors may the reason for this since cooled air at high
altitude travels downwards as it increases in density.

Good heavens - didn't recognise you! Yes, I suppose that IS possible. It's
not been really cold here for quite a time (56F yesterday) and the moor will
certainly be a few degrees lower. I've only really experienced the
katabatic thing on a boat in e.g. Greece or Turkey, where the wind blows
furiously at about 5pm for about 20 minutes or so, sending the g&t's of the
unwary in all directions. ;-) I hadn't really thought it might happen here
or not in winter, anyway. OTOH, it's still blowing a bit, so perhaps it's
just another rotten gale on its way.
Snowdrops are out in various parts of the garden - I think they're early but
Ray says he's seen them this early some years ago and by way of a total
contrast the Solandra nitida in the small double is flowering for the first
time ever - amazing sight.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk