Old 21-01-2007, 12:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default favourite seed potato

"Nick Maclaren" wrote after

"Bob Hobden"wrote

| Nick, just in case you may not have realised, there has been testing
for
| Spraing resistance.

I know, but hadn't seen your list - thanks very much for that! The
reason that I gave up is that I am not interested in growing any
potato, but wanted specific ones because of their flavour and similar
properties. There is no other potato like Champion that I know of,
for example.

I am retrying with first earlies. If this fails, I may retry with
Charlotte, but I don't recognise any of the others as being excellent
eating potatoes. I will look further, though.

Of the First Earlies I mentioned ...

Accord...creamy distinctive flavour (whatever that means??)
Arran Pilot...floury..good flavour, high yield, but needs mild spring and
good soil.
Home Guard... waxy..best eaten young.
Premiere...waxy... good flavour, excellent cooking qualities, blight and
scab resistant too.

SE & MC.
Charlotte (SE)...waxy..good for salads.
Fambo (SE)..waxy..good all-round cooking qualities
Fianna(MC)..firm..excellent flavour, good cooking qualities and storage.
Hermes (MC)..high dry matter..well flavoured..used for crisps, blight
resistant.
Lady Rosetta (SE)..red..high dry matter..good flavour..
Record (MC)..high dry matter.. great flavour..excellent for baking, chips
and crisps.
Saturna (EMC)..floury..described as Europe's best frying potato, tasty.
Heavy foliage.

So it looks like a few might be worth a try to see if you like them, and if
they like your soil/conditions.

We are going to try something new this year as our Spey got Spraing last
year on the new plot but then it does have a resistance of 1. Shame, it's a
good spud and quite slug resistant.
For MC will probably give Hermes & Record a try together with Romano (which
didn't suffer last year).
--
Regards
Bob H