Old 21-01-2007, 07:06 PM
ESGie ESGie is offline
Registered User

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by
My tractor originally came with 15x6.00-6 and 20x10.00-8 tires. Can I
use a different size tire on the original wheel. Say a 15x5.00-6 on
the front for example?
(trying to break through all the "advice" on how to post . . . . .)

If I understand correctly, you are trying to fit a narrower tire onto your rims, for the purpose of "mud=slugging" in the winter. If so, that is a perfectly reasonable thing to do - as long as you don't drive it on your lawn when the grass is soggy!

Normally, the tires on a garden tractor (or even my Massey 100hp tractor that has "low-ground-pressure" wheels and tires for doing "turf work!) have a more "gentle" tread, and are much wider that tires designed for road use, so as to be able to drive over the grass without compacting it.

If you (or any other reader) is trying to save money by using "road" tires - Don't Do It! Proper "turf" tires should be running at a much lower pressure than "road" tires (the tire pressure is approximately the same as the ground pressure applied to the grass - I use 10 psi front, 12 psi rear!)