Old 21-01-2007, 04:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tulpa Tulpa is offline

Default Help! Pond smells bad!

Alan Holmes wrote:
"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

Richard wrote
Is it me or are all non filtered ponds prone to get smelly without the
benefit of growth and sunlight? I'm hoping all will come good when the
UV starts filtering through. Otherwise, I'm looking at draining with a
bucket and replacing all the hard work of last year!
Any ideas?

Only if you let them get a layer of detritus on the bottom that will play
host to anaerobic bacteria hence the "rotten eggs" smell. If the pond
smells without you stirring up the muck then the water is bad/polluted
and, yes, you will have to drain, clean out, and start again.
Unusual in just one year though, is it under trees, does it get lots of
muck in it?

And, how long have you had it, is it new, or has it been there for many
years?

Only a year I'm afraid. Yep, it's under trees and is frequently mowed
into... Looks like I'l have to get mucky in the spring.. I'm not going
to tackle it as the cold weather approaches!

If it is new, then try to have a little patience, changing the water will
only repeat the present problmes!

Alan