Old 21-01-2007, 11:55 PM posted to rec.ponds
Gill Passman Gill Passman is offline

Default And the pond now has 500+ koi

~ janj wrote:

They use pictures.... and probably hold-harmless contracts. ;-) ~ jan

OK they might hold pictures but then think of the whole logistics of
catching an individual fish without draining the pond in the first place
and stressing all of the others....I must say I don't blame Tristan not
to want to consider it....might be different if you are raising them in
a small pond or kiddy pool but then so would the breeder being doing
just that so there is no advantage to them to move them.....the fishery
in Scotland I go on about a bit....has two small grow out ponds (about
1/2 acre a piece) and from talking to the owner just moving the fish
indiscriminately is quite a task let alone if he was getting selective
in what he was attempting to catch....indeed the whole ecosystem of the
pond/lake environment would collapse if he needed to drain to be
selective....now I would guess if money is the big motivator and you are
talking Kois worth thousands then you might do it....but IMO it would
also be putting undue stress on the other Kois worth thousands just to
get one or two out.....so to do it you would need a mud pond of quite a
size dedicated to each customer......and then you are talking very big
bucks....

Gill