Old 22-01-2007, 01:54 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Srgnt Billko Srgnt Billko is offline

Default Anyone know JD Lawn Tractors?

"Dean" wrote in message
ups.com...

Tomes wrote:
"Dean" wrote in message
ups.com...
Srgnt Billko wrote:
"dane" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,figured I better check-in here with My quest..I have spoken for
an
estimated 25yo JD lawn tractor,,12 1/2horse,,mower deck and single
stage snow blower attachment,,recent engine re-build,,whatever
"recent"
is and a new seat..The price is $200,,,sound about right? My
Bro-in-Law
is using it this Winter then come spring it's Mine..I ca'nt really
justify a new rig for this lawn alone and the small lot accross the
street..I blew-up the Murray rider,,got it for $75 tho and used 2
seasons..
Does Anyone know the original cost(estimated)of the above JD? Also
I'm thinking I'd like to trade the snowblower for a plow
attachment,,how likely is that?heh heh..

Sounds OK to me. I have a 30 yo JD 110 and am not familiar with your
12 1/2
hp but my 8hp handles the single stage blower very well. I would say
any JD
that is running should bring $200 as long as it isn't smoking real
bad.
plow and a blower are two distinctly different animals. Plow is nice
for
cleaning off a couple inches or a little slush but the blower should
handle
8 or 10". The plow leaves behind a snowbank that is hard to move a
few
days
later. The blower leaves no obstructions. I have a Wheelhorse plow
that is
like new and haven't been able to get $100 for it. I'm guessing you
could
get a JD plow for $50 but it is sometimes hard to match this equipment
up.

I want to try a plow next Winter just to see..Everyone agrees with
You almost verbatum so I'll probably hold on to the blower too and
maybe get a plow too and try them both out..I've never used either.

I have a 10ish year old JD GT262 with the snow thrower (they use the word
thrower for this instead of blower) here in NJ. I would not want a plow.
The thrower works really well. It tosses it up and away from the
driveway, carves through the pileup from the plow at the road, and maybe
most importantly does not bend up the frame of the little tractor. Plows
are known for doing that if you try to work them too hard, and too hard
can be less snow than one thinks.
Tomes

"Thrower" ok..Bend up My frame? I think You just talked Me out of
the plow idea,,I've got a while to decide..Are there any good points to
putting a plow on a lawn tractor?
Dean

You're not going to bend up your frame unless you lpow crazy like ramming
into a snowbank at high speed. I've spread gravel over a driveway with mine
and spread large piles of compost over a garden several times. I've even
pushed logs around when I am cutting firewood. Just don't ram things with
it.