Old 22-01-2007, 05:55 PM posted to sci.bio.botany
Landtrustlady Landtrustlady is offline

Default ID ? wild loofah-like plant in New England

I don't have a photo of this yet, but in December I discovered what
appeared to be a vine growing in a field in MA, a field that had not
been mown in several years. Attached to the vine were several
"mini-loofahs" - i.e., they were loofahs about 1.5 to 2" long. At the
time I found them I thought loofahs were a sea sponge, but I later
discovered they were a gourd. I cannot find any reference to such a
plant with gourds/seedpods that are so small. Has anyone seen this
plant or does anyone know about it? Is it an escapee from a garden?