Old 22-01-2007, 03:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce La Puce is offline

Default Blueberries

Mervington wrote:
Hello!

I'm keen to try blueberries, but will need to use containers because of
our ph. A further possible problem is watering. I understand that
tap water is bad for blueberries because of chlorine/alkali inclusion.
There is a limit to the amount of rainwater I can collect/store.
The question is whether there is a means of treating tapwater to make
it "safe". I understand that by storing tap water in open containers
for a few days, chlorine will be released. Sulphur chips etc can be
used to change the ph level in soil. Can they, or some other
product, be used to change tap water to make it safe for blueberries?

Keeping tap water in the fridge releases chlorine too, but I've never
tried it. I have grown blueberries for about 5 years now, near the
house and at the allotment. I've burried my pots (plastic as it keeps
the moisture in more) in the ground and use water, at both places,
which is collected from rain. If you can store tap water in open
containers, can't you just have containers collecting the rain from
your roof or in your garden?

What occured to me is the stuff I use for the kids's goldfish, 'Tap
Safe' or 'gold'. I wonder if this would work. I'm going to ask around
and will get back to you.

This our gnome Jon in the blueberries in spring ...
http://cjoint.com/?bwp7keIupV

And the blueberries leaves in the autumn against the nettles (I use
lots of companion planting, and for the blueberries I mulch with the
branches and needles of the xmas tree ...
http://cjoint.com/?bwqa5KVTJR