Old 22-01-2007, 05:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) is offline

Default Blueberries

"Mervington" wrote in message

Hello!

I'm keen to try blueberries, but will need to use containers because of
our ph. A further possible problem is watering. I understand that
tap water is bad for blueberries because of chlorine/alkali inclusion.
There is a limit to the amount of rainwater I can collect/store.

The question is whether there is a means of treating tapwater to make
it "safe". I understand that by storing tap water in open containers
for a few days, chlorine will be released. Sulphur chips etc can be
used to change the ph level in soil. Can they, or some other
product, be used to change tap water to make it safe for blueberries?

I hope someone might be able to help.

Thanks.

Mervyn
Mervington

The residual chlorine in the tap water should not cause a problem with
Blueberries or AFAIK with any other plants.
If your tap water is hard (calcium and magnesium minerals) then it is
advisable to use soft water (rain water)--if you haven't got enough then I
can send you some:-)