Old 23-01-2007, 10:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce La Puce is offline

Default wildflowers

K wrote:
It is not lack of pollution which makes oak or ivy able to support a
large variety of creatures in the UK, it's the fact they have been
around a long time. A native of an area which shares a similar fauna
will obviously support a good variety, a native of an area with a
completely different fauna will not provide support for the different
fauna of the UK.

Hmmm. Sure. But wouldn't you say that planting a lawn only with a
couple of rose bushes will not provide sufficient habitat for the fauna
of the UK? And ....

I'm getting confused by your talking of planting of different verbenas -
previously it was V bonariensis you were talking about, not V
officinalis

.... in this case, planting any kind of verbena variety would increase
the wild life habitat, regardless of the verbena's species?! Because
I'm also very confused. When I offered a suggestion of a 'wild effect'
of planting for Kate I was told by yourself and Sacha that
v.bonariensis wasn't uk native, but v.officinallis was. I've checked it
and English Nature encourage the planting of v.bonariensis presicely
because it encourages wild habitat and life in the garden. I finally
said the insects in my garden couldn't care less of the species of
verbena, nor would care if my marguerite came from abroad! There lies
my confusion - this 'uk native' label is very flawed I think. Or I'm a
noodle, again ;o)