Old 23-01-2007, 11:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default Devon Beach (Free Pampers & BMWs)

On 23/1/07 11:03, in article , "Rupert (W.Yorkshire)"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...

snip Not just Devon - some people came from 'two counties away',
according to
one
report. But no surprises, I'm afraid - looting is an old past time.....

It's not technically looting otherwise they could be shot. The one
heartening thing is that some of the locals that have been interviewed are
horrified by the events.

What I don't understand is the difference between looting and stealing by
finding. And *could* they still be shot? It seems unlikely as we no longer
have capital punishment, even for the worst of crimes.

I do hope that some of the grinning buffoons who have boasted about their
loot get shot-or perhaps a quick slap.
There was an incident round here when a woman crashed her car and by the
time the Ambulance arrived she had "lost" her handbag and laptop.
I think folk sometimes take the "every cloud has a silver lining" to
extremes.

The first time I went to Italy, my ex husband and I arrived to stay with his
aunt and uncle, just outside Turin. I'd never met them before. As we were
having tea, the phone rang to tell his aunt that her mother in law had been
knocked down and killed on a zebra crossing. It had taken the police and
hospital hours to identify her by the initials inside her wedding ring
because, as she lay dying, someone stole her handbag. The world is full of
people that define the word 'scum'.
And today, we read of one woman whose car was hit by a falling branch in the
storms and wrecked. She, her son and her mother were lucky to escape with
their lives. Police told her to leave it where it was until she could
arrange for its disposal, because it was un-driveable. So when she went
back next day, there was a parking ticket on it AND someone had stolen the
stereo!
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk