Old 23-01-2007, 07:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Gene Schurg Gene Schurg is offline

Default The battle of the scale (not the diet kind)

Rob,

It is interesting that you could be observing the same thing as I. Did you
spray or drench with the Bayer product? Did you water between applications
where the plants could suck up water without the chemicals?

We can beat these monsters!

Gene

"Rob" wrote in message
As far as I know, you are the only person who has ever won the battle of
the scale...

My experiences have been similar to yours, but I hadn't connected the
dots to long lived scale eggs. That is as good a hypothesis as any. I
thoroughly sprayed with three week apart applications of similar
chemicals (the bayer spray and a different IGR called Distance) late
this fall. I've seen a couple isolated outbreaks of boisduval scale on
a few plants, mainly plants hanging high where it is a bit warmer. But
in general the scale load is greatly reduced, I have to really work to
find any. Which is a step in the right direction. I have seen a couple
more outbreaks of mealy bug in some odd places (on phals, not paphs),
which I'm not sure I understand since I nuked every plant in the
greenhouse. I'm hoping that this summer when I can spread things apart
a great deal more that I can win the final battle.

I'm making the final push, we'll fill in the trenches and let the
poppies grow this fall.

Any thoughts about this from the more experienced grower who have won

the
battle of the scale?

Good Growing,
Gene