Old 23-01-2007, 05:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Robert[_2_] Robert[_2_] is offline

Default Devon Beach (Free Pampers & BMWs) (OT)

Keith (Dorset) wrote:
: Dear all,
:
: This is a fundamental misunderstanding of cultures - yes 'cultures',
: between many of those who live by the sea and many, or most, who
: don't.
:
: Wrecking is a time-old tradition whereby coastal dwellers have always
: supplemented their often meagre earnings by salvaging items of value
: from the shoreline at the time of a wreck.
:
: Here in Dorset, often the whole community would venture out, often in
: appalling weather to grab whatever was there for the taking.
:
: Keith
:
: PS It is said that ships were sometime lured onto rocks with
: judiciously placed lights so that wrecking could take place.
:

Good luck to them I say. If someone has the cheek to put a ship like that to
sea, endangering our coast, then they deserve no compassion and their cargo
is 'fair game'. The only quite big problem I have with this ship's cargo is
that the redistribution is causing more damage to the beach than the
original containers were...