Old 23-01-2007, 11:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Steve Calvin Steve Calvin is offline

Default Hydroponics

Just Another wrote:
In article ,
(J. David Boyd) wrote:

(Dick Adams) writes:

3) Go buy a gun. You need a permit and the gun has to be registered.

It's been a long time since I purchased a weapon, but is this generally true?
If I go to Walmarts and buy a shotgun, I have to be registered? What about if
I got to a gun show? Or buy from a friend?

Only handguns, and then only from registered gun dealers. Private
purchases, gifts, and inherited handguns are exempt.

In some locales you're also required to demonstrate safe handling
proficiency, too. Here in California you have to show your DOJ (Dept. of
Justice) card, indicating that you paid a dealer to show you how not to
point it at things you don't intend to shoot.

Dave

That depends on the State. Here in NY if you buy a pistol,
you first need to be approved by the police department after
background checks, etc. Rifles and shotguns don't require a
permit or police check but the store must run a cursory
check and the weapon is registered to you. Does that stop
me from selling a shotgun or rifle? No. Pistol? Absolutely.

As for being on some freekin' list? I really don't give a
rats ass. If I'm not doing anything illegal why would I?

If I'm growing tomatoes with hydros and they wanna come see
'em, come on ahead! Wanna take my guns, well, now they may
have a problem there, as with any gun owner I suspect.

People spout all the time that the gov. will use this
information to confiscate all guns. Ain't no freekin' way.

There are WAY too many people who legally own them that they
wouldn't have a chance.

Now... if someone's into illegal activity and gets busted
for those lists then I'm all for it.

--
Steve