Old 23-01-2007, 09:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Rob Rob is offline

Default The battle of the scale (not the diet kind)

al wrote:
I don't think one can ever WIN the war against bugs; especially if you grow
in a greenhouse or outdoors or indoors near windows and doors and you live
on a planet with an active (or even ailing) biosphere. You may have quiet
periods with few visible problems but new infestations will always find a
way to the food and shelter we call our orchid collection. Vigilance is
required. Never ending vigilance. The best that can be hoped for is
containment and control, NOT eradication: unless you plan to destroy the
whole biosphere...

Yes, this is true. But I would like to win the war against non-endemic
pests, at least. I don't think boisduval scale is native to
mid-michigan. In theory I should be able to keep that out once it is
gone (in theory). The thrips that come in from the hayfields next door
are another story.

--
Rob's Rules: http://littlefrogfarm.com
2a) See rule 1