Old 24-01-2007, 01:21 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Gene Schurg Gene Schurg is offline

Default The battle of the scale (not the diet kind)

Ray,

What are you thoughts about the eggs living many months under sheaths and in
medium?

I think this is why we see them come back after a few weeks or months when
you think you have them gone. A long viable systemic helps kill them when
they hatch.

Gene

"Ray B" wrote in message
I use Enstar II, orthene, and neem oil combined and get great knock-down,
long-term kill, and repellency all in one.

I recently tried the Bayer stuff alone and had pretty good knock-down in
three applications, but my heart still lies with Enstar II as a

preventive.

"Rob" wrote in message
Gene Schurg wrote:
Rob,

It is interesting that you could be observing the same thing as I. Did
you
spray or drench with the Bayer product? Did you water between
applications
where the plants could suck up water without the chemicals?

I tried a drench (trash can and pump with hose) with just the bayer for
three consecutive weeks in early summer. That didn't work, or at least
not completely. When I added the IGR into the mix, it was applied as a
spray to the point of complete saturation of as much leaf surface as
possible (top and bottom), again for three consecutive weeks, within a
couple hours after watering the greenhouse in my normal way. I'm not

sure
of the rationale of that, but I did have one. It made sense to water
before so that I wouldn't wash out chemical before it had a chance to be
absorbed, and I thought that perhaps the leaves would be more actively
transpiring right after a nice watering and more susceptible to

absorbing
chemical.

Distance is supposed to have translaminar systemic activity (absorbed
through the leaves), which is one of the reasons I picked it. I don't
think EnstarII is systemic (I could be wrong). It is about the same

cost,
but you have to buy a whole quart... They target the same pathway.

And actually, come to think of it, I used orthene instead of

imidocloprid
for the first two weeks. Both have systemic activity. I was worried

that
the bugs were becoming resistant to repeated imidocloprid treatment, and

hadn't used orthene in a while. This way I was hoping to get the
resistant ones in the first two passes, and get the longer residual of

the
imidocloprid on the last one. And orthene is cheap... Probably a

stupid
idea.

--
Rob's Rules: http://littlefrogfarm.com