Old 24-01-2007, 07:10 AM posted to alt.agriculture.fruit,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,sci.agriculture.fruit
sherwindu sherwindu is offline

Default Fruit pickers?

What works best for me is a lightweight aluminum 3 legged ladder. That lets you
get
in really close to the tree. I bought an 8 footer in South Haven Michigan, and
it wasn't that expensive.

Sherwin D.

LurfysMa wrote:

On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 09:43:20 -0600, Omelet
wrote:

In article ,
LurfysMa wrote:

On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 21:04:21 +1300, "George.com"
wrote:

"Dick Adams" wrote in message
Hold a ladder while your spouse or child does the picking!

Dick

better still pay the lad down the road a pittance to do it for you.

I don't want to pick the while tree -- just 6-8 at a time. I picked
the whole tree one year and I couldn't eat them fast enough. Most went
bad. They stay on the tree nicely for at least a month, probably
closer to two. I don't want top haul the ladder out every 2-3 days.
The wire basket picker works more or less. I was hoping to get some
idea if the grabber variety or something else worked better.

--

Refrigerated Oranges last weeks for me.

(sigh) Yes, that will work up to however much space you want to
dedicate to that. So I can pick maybe 15-20 at a time.

Doesn't solve the problem and I'd rather have them fresh picked.