Old 24-01-2007, 01:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Pat Brennan Pat Brennan is offline

Default The battle of the scale (not the diet kind)

Hi Gene,

You might find this site helpful.

http://www.entomology.umn.edu/cues/i...ine/Scale.html

Based on what is says, the timing seems right for the October outbreak
to be from eggs not killed. Not much will kill a bug in all the life
cycles.

I do not think you can assume you will get a years coverage from a
single spraying. The label you are reading was written for a seasonal
plant with seasonal bugs. Based on what I have seen assume 4 to 6
weeks.

I have used this chemical to fight fungus gnats. I talked with the rep
and he recommend monthly sprayings. The label tells you to limit
sprayings to 2 per growth cycle (I am doing this from memory so this
might not be exactly right). I was afraid that too much of a good
thing would lead to color breaks, so I never followed his advice and
followed the label limits. With three drenches you hit them pretty
hard; I am interested to know much color breaking you see in your Phals
this winter. Aug is a pretty safe month to be hitting Phals with
systemics so there is a good chance you will not see any.

Pat