Old 24-01-2007, 07:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) is offline

Default Pond shade

"BoyPete" wrote in message
Sacha wrote:
On 21/1/07 20:19, in article ,
"BoyPete" wrote:

I intend building a pergola type structure over my pond. I want to
use a covering for the top to create some shade. As the top will be
level, I can't use a waterproof material. I'd 'like' to use
something more natural. Reed matting perhaps? I wondered if the
gardening community might advise?
Thanks

Coir? Willow?

Argos now sell both reed and willow 'screening'. What life expectancy
could I expect from each? Thanks
--
ßôyþëtë

It really depends on the quality/thickness of the Argos stuff. I would guess
a min of 5 years.
For comparison and perhaps other ideas have a look at:-
http://www.mulu.co.uk/plant_list.php?id=27
The bamboo tail stuff is very substantial and heavy.