Old 24-01-2007, 08:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris Hogg Chris Hogg is offline

Default Devon Beach (Free Pampers & BMWs) (OT)

On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 22:21:25 -0000, "Keith \(Dorset\)"
wrote:

Hi Chris,

You Kerns are indeed a brutish lot!

Having said that, whatever valuables I ever find here at Portland Bill, or
Chesil Cove - (some chance). I'll keep.

Same here. If one of those oak wine barrels drifts onto our beach I'll
have it (except I'd have to be up very early to beat the rush!).

On SW ITV1 on Tuesday of this week at 7.30pm you may have seen the
programme 'A Westcountry Childhood: The Lure of the Sea', in which two
or three 'old salts' recalled their childhood memories of the twenties
and thirties. There was some fascinating B&W cine film, including a
very timely short piece on wrecking. Pictures of crowds of people
including children hauling stuff away from a wreck in handcarts etc,
just as they are at Branscombe now. It was ever thus!

I can remember as a child rummaging over a wreck in St. Ives Bay (a
large timber-built fishing boat, I think) and coming away with some
trivial item of no value (nothing else was left!). The authorities
eventually burnt the boat, as I remember, as it was beyond salvaging.

But I feel sorry for the individuals who lost personal property,
especially as they actually saw it disappearing, or so I understand.

--
Chris