Old 24-01-2007, 10:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default shrub / tree identification

On 24/1/07 21:19, in article , "Charlie
Pridham" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 23/1/07 23:41, in article
lid, "Stewart
Robert
Hinsley" wrote:

snip

I don't know Pseudocamellia stewartia. I'm interpreting the photo as
showing a capsule with 5 locules which have separated, so the capsule as
a whole is quite blunt. I would also interpret the capsule as being
chartaceous (parchment-like) rather than woody. A photograph of the
innards of the capsule might assist identification.

I can't find a pic of the seed pod of the Stewartia. The plant is unusual
but not rare. The OP didn't give any description of a flower, so I'm
assuming he hasn't seen one yet but obviously that would help a lot.
Perhaps a neighbour would know?

In the pic of the seed pods they look as if they've been hanging around

for
a long time and so are rather dried out. It would be interesting to know
what they look like when fresh.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Do they flower like that up the stems? I have never seen one in seed or
flower. The pods in the picture reminded me a little of Paulownia but not
quite right and they would be more in bunches, still it might be a relative!

Allowing for scale, they're much too big for Paulownia, I *think*.