Old 25-01-2007, 11:21 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Bob Walsh Bob Walsh is offline

Default The battle of the scale (not the diet kind)

Wendy,

You probably don't need to try the Bayer product. Imidacloprid is the
chemical that kills the bugs in both Mavrik and the Bayer Shrub & Brush.
Mavrik is available in a far more concentated product so it costs more but
goes much further.

From what I have read do not rely on it to kill mites. Plants treated with
Imidacloprid may even attract them. Maybe that's why I have (or had if the
soap worked) them.

Bob

"wendy7" wrote in message
Thanks for this info Pat & Gene, yes I have seen plenty of the dreaded
Boisduval!
I had colour break & mutant looking flowers when I used a systemic call
Cygon
a number of years ago. (No longer available)
Have used Ortho WP along with Neem. Have not tried the Bayer product?
I have been using Enstar II along with Mavrik & so far the best results
for me. I think the Mavrik is a topical treatment but the two are mixed
together.
I mark & tag plants specially treated & document g/h sprays etc.

Now I am one that always experiments & have found that you have to keep
on
a strict regimen forever or the buggers come back.
I have unpotted a scale infested plant, cleaned every bit of potting mix,
trimmed old roots etc., sprayed any visible bugs with alcohol, then left
this
plant soaking in the Enstar/Mavrik solution over night & the next day
there
were little white babies trying to escape. Unbelievable, the float & creep
the sides of the bowl!!!
So my point being they are never gone.
Happy debugging,
--
Cheers Wendy

No Spam Email Address Invalid

Pat Brennan wrote:
Hi Gene,

You might find this site helpful.

http://www.entomology.umn.edu/cues/i...ine/Scale.html

Based on what is says, the timing seems right for the October outbreak
to be from eggs not killed. Not much will kill a bug in all the life
cycles.

I do not think you can assume you will get a years coverage from a
single spraying. The label you are reading was written for a seasonal
plant with seasonal bugs. Based on what I have seen assume 4 to 6
weeks.

I have used this chemical to fight fungus gnats. I talked with the
rep and he recommend monthly sprayings. The label tells you to limit
sprayings to 2 per growth cycle (I am doing this from memory so this
might not be exactly right). I was afraid that too much of a good
thing would lead to color breaks, so I never followed his advice and
followed the label limits. With three drenches you hit them pretty
hard; I am interested to know much color breaking you see in your
Phals this winter. Aug is a pretty safe month to be hitting Phals
with systemics so there is a good chance you will not see any.

Pat