Old 24-03-2003, 11:20 PM
Radika

Default Climbing Dainty Bess, Own-root Altissimo and other delectations

Cass wrote in message . ..
In article , Radika Kesavan
wrote:

Starting with "rescuing" roses from Home Depot

So ... go back and get Dainty Bess! You needn't have to have *me* tell
*you* that, right?

I went back and resisted. I think my real calling in rosedom is
climbers, so I can resist, especially since I'm going to "substitute" a
mini and an HT for a rambler and a climbing bourbon.

Cass, Cass, Cass!

Every Dainty Bess I have ever seen is a climber. In fact, I did not
even KNOW that there was a non-climbing form of this rose! And I have
never seen a specimen of this rose bothered by any disease, at least
not out here. The climber is marked as a 1935 rose in the Sequoia
list. IIRC, the original rose was introduced in 1929 - no, just
checked, in 1925. Over 78 years - the venerability of that long a
survival alone ought to make you give the climbing DB a spot in your
garden g.

And, it is on the Divine Supplemental List of Sequoia!

HehHeheh. Did you detect the misdirection in my arithmetic?

Oh, you are a Wizard at this :-).

Now, to my great delight, I also see that Altissimo is happily
available on the Sequoia supplemental list as an own-root rose! We
talked about this elsewhere, you and I, about the possibility that teh
Altissimo I have as a budded specimen from a local source being
possibly a virus infected specimen so as to make it a rather slow
grower even after three years. So ... here we go ... I need to get my
act together on this as well.

And I have my eyes on a Moore miniature called Lavender Lace. I wonder
.... know anything about this one?

And how do you like your Magenta? IIRC, you grow this rose, right?

And so on ... the rose mood in which I am this year is definitely
mauve/violet/purple/magenta - in that area. Don't know why. But there
it is ...

--
Radika
Zone 9