Old 25-01-2007, 02:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default shrub / tree identification

On 25/1/07 13:32, in article , "Rupert (W.Yorkshire)"
wrote:

"Nick Gray" wrote in message
snip

http://www.ukgardening.co.uk/images/...s_syriacus.jpg
(I held up a white card behind the seed head, else it wouldn't stand
out
against the browns of the beech hedge behind it).

Here's a picture of it in full flower, along with leaf detail:
http://www.ukgardening.co.uk/images/...hibiscus12.jpg

Perhaps you didn't see the link to the picture of the leaves of the plant

in
question? They're not remotely like a Hibiscus, unfortunately and seem
resemble a hazel more closely!
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Oh bugger,

No I didn't see that link, the header didn't download for some reason. I
agree with you that the photo looks like a hazel leaf, but can't see a
nearby hazel in the foreground or background, but also there is no flower
buds on that photo either, so I wonder whether the OP got the photos mixed
up.

Very odd and I'm now intrigued to find out what it is.

Cheers

Nick
http://www.ukgardening.co.uk

Yes-I don't think we have yet established that those leaves belong to that
tree/shrub--or have we? :-)

Not necessarily. The OP didn't seem quite sure of what he'd taken, when.
It's confusing when you don't know much about trees and shrubs and you see
them without flowers on, so I think that he and we, will have to possess our
souls in patience!