Old 25-01-2007, 03:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default Throw away attitude

On 25/1/07 15:36, in article ,
"®óñ© © ²°¹°-°³" wrote:

On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 15:25:10 +0000, Sacha
wrote and included this (or some of
this):

I now cut cucumbers when they are fully ripe and cling-film them
immediately. Kept at frig temperature they stay crisp and fresh for
days. Just bring them out for a couple of hours to warm to RT before
use.

But the ones I buy at the greengrocer are just fine, unwrapped and
unashamed! And if I leave them in the fridge in their plastic coats, they
seem to turn to mush faster.

Well, I expect that both of our separate experiences are valid.
I know my home-grown ones last days longer if wrapped. I grow
probably 250 cucumbers a year and have tried unwrapped and wrapped
often enough to know what works for me.

Mind you, we've bought a couple of cucumbers lately, don't know where
they were grown (or when) and they were inedible.
Cucumbers are for eating from Wimbledon to Autumn Bank Holiday
not flown in from Brazil or Zimbabwe.

If you grow your own, there is absolutely no comparison. I hope we can find
room for a few more this year. It's like eating something you've never
encountered before.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk