Old 25-01-2007, 08:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle Mike Lyle is offline

Default Other uses for olive oil

Sacha wrote:
Thinking of the Frances Mayes books, as I was a while ago, I remember
her writing that her husband took a pudding spoon of olive oil every
morning, presumably for the benefit of his internal clockwork. And
I think it was she who wrote that Italian women used to use it as
skin nourishment. Has anyone here any experience of either? I
rather like the idea of a much cheaper version of Clarins in my
kitchen cupboard!

When she's back, I have to hide the extra vierge from my youngest so her
face has to content itself with cheap sunflower. I moaned about it to my
mother, who said "Ah, yes. My mother used to use olive oil every day."
Personally, I think she'd need less oil if she stopped using so much of
that damned warpaint, but what do I know?

Drifting only slightly, I remember an old butcher pointing out that he
had "hands like a girl". Though I found a courteous way of avoiding
tactile examination, the muscular extremities he proffered in evidence
certainly looked very smooth, and I didn't doubt his explanation that it
was because he was handling fat all the time.

As to the, ah, aperient qualities, well, it seems rather more pleasant
than liquid paraffin, and must do the same job.

--
Mike.