Old 25-01-2007, 10:09 PM posted to rec.gardens
William Wagner William Wagner is offline

Default Worm Composting

In article
,
"DWW" wrote:

That's strange, MOST of the sources I've seen say that optimum worm
composting occurs at 65-80 and the worms stop composting at around 40,
including this reference from wormdigest.org:

Best Temperature & OK Temperatures
A worm bin will eat up the most food waste when the bedding is 70°F-80°F.
All the bacteria are happy, and worms are most comfortable. Down at 45°F,
the bin slows down, and at 30° worms can freeze.

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
Three reasons:

1) If they're not in the fridge, their "home", whatever it may be (box,
plant tray) will be exposed to house heat, which means drying. You *KNOW*
somebody's gonna forget to keep the worm bedding damp. Not wet. Damp.

2) Because *all* sources of worm-raising information suggest keeping them
cool.

3) Stick your hand 6" down into the outdoor soil in April. It's pretty
cold, and the worms are perfectly happy.

My Dad made a box out of brick and mortar. Placed it in our basement ~
about 60 F. 4 feet long 3 feet wide and 3 feet tall. Worked. Grew
tired of it about 5 years latter. 50 years ago. Now I just look at my
wood chip piles for crawlers and transplant them to areas in my garden
that need work. They all do )

Bill

Bill

--