Old 24-03-2003, 11:20 PM
Bart Bailey

Default cats

On 18 Mar 2003 17:58:13 GMT, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:

In article ,
(Larry Stoter) writes:

| Thank you. I have considered trapping and relocation to a cat rescue
| centre a couple of hundred miles from where I live. Would that be
| illegal in the UK?

Unless you had strong reasons to believe that they are strays, yes,
or at least it would be a tort. It might be regarded as cruelty,
which would be a crime.

If you are virtually certain they they are strays, I know of nothing
that stops you from humanely killing them.

How does UK jurisprudence determine virtual certainty?
Must someone maintain a current database of owner/animal associations
for their neighborhood?

It seems that one could reasonably assume any free wandering animal on
their property to be a stray, therefore would be entitled to humanely
euthanize same.

Wouldn't this protocol tend to put the burden of responsibility on the
owners of domestic animals, where I believe it belongs?

Just a few rhetorical exercises,
since I live in a inner city neighborhood in California,
where any domestic animals around here live indoors,
and are accompanied by owners when taken outside.

Bart