Old 24-03-2003, 11:32 PM
Little Badger

Default cats

"Bart Bailey" wrote in message
On 18 Mar 2003 17:58:13 GMT, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:

In article ,
(Larry Stoter) writes:

| Thank you. I have considered trapping and relocation to a cat rescue
| centre a couple of hundred miles from where I live. Would that be
| illegal in the UK?

Unless you had strong reasons to believe that they are strays, yes,
or at least it would be a tort. It might be regarded as cruelty,
which would be a crime.

If you are virtually certain they they are strays, I know of nothing
that stops you from humanely killing them.

How does UK jurisprudence determine virtual certainty?
Must someone maintain a current database of owner/animal associations
for their neighborhood?

It seems that one could reasonably assume any free wandering animal on
their property to be a stray, therefore would be entitled to humanely
euthanize same.

Sorry won't work in this country! My cat has it's ID chip under it's skin,
you can't see it! If someone was to assume my cat was a stray, and kill it,
they would be in big trouble; as the law stands!

Wouldn't this protocol tend to put the burden of responsibility on the
owners of domestic animals, where I believe it belongs?

Just a few rhetorical exercises,
since I live in a inner city neighborhood in California,
where any domestic animals around here live indoors,
and are accompanied by owners when taken outside.

Bart